Bloemfontein Courant (Bloem Courant) is owned by Mahareng Publishing, a subsidiary of Caxton Community Papers and joint venture between Caxton CTP and Central Media Group. Mahareng Publishing also owns Get It Bloemfontein, Campus Get It Bloemfontein and The Woodpecker. The precursor to Bloemfontein Courant, an independent community paper called Krant, was first established in June 2009. Bloemfontein Courant is the product of thorough market-research into what readers want from a community newspaper.
Bloemfontein Courant is a popular community newspaper in tabloid form with relevant news and general lifestyle content for the local community of Bloemfontein and the Free State rural communities. Bloemfontein Courant provides readers with positive and constructive content that complies with the slogan: “News you can use”. The publication focuses on important happenings in our local community, but presents everything with a voice of reason to our readers. That is one of the things that makes Bloemfontein Courant stand out from other publications in Bloemfontein and the wider Free State. Bloemfontein Courant has a loyal market with readers in the middle class ranging from LSM 6 to 9 (not excluding LSM 10). Readers are mostly older than 26 years, from households with expendable income. 61% of Bloemfontein Courant’s readers are female and they are the decision makers in the majority of households. Most households in the distribution area have children between the ages of 0 to 16 years. The circulation is 41 500 per week.
- Bloemfontein Courant focuses on positive, constructive news that contributes to a better, improved, informed and/or safer society.
- Content is published in Afrikaans and English.
- Content that inform, educate, entertain and protect the rights and values of its readers.
- Strong lifestyle content – Readers can expect up to date and trendy articles on Food, Health, Beauty, Gardening, Finance, Environmental concerns, Travel, Motoring and Parenting.
- Extras include social events, schools news, environmental concerns, charity (community service), social calendars and local interest.
- Bloemfontein Courant speaks with a voice of reason and fairness, while striving to supply an excellent service to the readers, stakeholders and advertisers.